Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Lawsuit
The largest active MDL in the federal court system. On July 27, 2026, Johnson & Johnson announced a proposed $5.5 billion settlement of approximately 76,000 ovarian cancer claims, five days after the MDL court ordered plaintiffs to justify why the remaining claims should not be dismissed. Mesothelioma claims are on a separate track.
New filings continue: deadlines still run, and mesothelioma claims are unresolved.
Settlement Announced July 27, 2026
Johnson & Johnson has announced a proposed $5.5 billion resolution of approximately 76,000 ovarian cancer talc claims across the federal MDL and state courts. The deal requires 95% participation to take effect, covers existing claims only, and does not include mesothelioma claims. Per-claim dollar values have not been published.
Read the full settlement report Key Takeaways
- Proposed $5.5 billion settlement announced July 27, 2026 covering approximately 76,000 ovarian cancer claims in the federal MDL and state courts. It is not yet final and requires 95% claimant participation
- The figure is a commitment, not a cap. Payments are per claim, and lead negotiator Christopher Seeger said the total could reach $7 billion or more depending on participation
- Mesothelioma claims are excluded. J&J says it had already settled about 95% of filed mesothelioma lawsuits separately
- Future claims are excluded, a sharp break from the three failed bankruptcy plans, which sought to resolve future claims through a trust
- The deal followed a J&J win, not a plaintiff one: on July 22, 2026, Magistrate Judge Rukhsanah Singh ordered plaintiffs to show why the remaining claims should not be dismissed after they withdrew their two specific causation experts
- Per-claim amounts have not been published. No verified source has released tier values or eligibility criteria
August 2026 Updates: Settlement Proposed Latest
Johnson & Johnson announced a proposed $5.5 billion resolution of the ovarian talc litigation on July 27, 2026, covering approximately 76,000 claims across the federal MDL and related state court dockets. J&J committed to per-claim payments with a first payment of no more than $3 billion in 2027 and no further payments due before 2028. The agreement is conditioned on express participation by at least 95% of the remaining claims, including the lead plaintiff firms in all ovarian talc litigation in state and federal court. Christopher Seeger, one of three plaintiff lawyers who negotiated the deal, said the agreement assigns specific values to qualifying claims but does not cap J&J's total payout, and that the company could ultimately pay $7 billion or more. J&J admitted no liability and continues to call the claims meritless.
The settlement followed J&J's largest procedural win in the litigation. On July 22, 2026, U.S. Magistrate Judge Rukhsanah L. Singh granted J&J's motion for an order to show cause, directing plaintiffs to explain why the remaining claims should not be dismissed for inability to prove specific causation. The order followed plaintiffs' withdrawal of their two specific causation experts, Dr. Judith Wolf and Dr. Daniel L. Clarke-Pearson, from six bellwether cases after a May 2026 evidentiary hearing. Singh wrote that the record "begs the critical question of whether any expert would be capable of reliably evaluating the risk factors for a woman's specific ovarian cancer."
What is not covered: mesothelioma claims (separate track, roughly 95% previously settled per J&J), future claims, and litigation outside the US and Canada, including the Kenvue UK talc cases.
Note on the two case counts: J&J's ~76,000 figure spans the federal MDL and state courts. The JPML's August 2026 report counted 68,914 pending (71,601 total) in the federal MDL alone.
Key Facts (August 2026)
| Pending in federal MDL | 68,914 cases |
| Claims covered by proposed settlement | ~76,000 (federal + state) |
| Total Paid in Verdicts | $7B+ (pre-appeal) |
| Largest Individual Verdict | $1.56 billion (Craft, Maryland, December 2025) |
| Largest Class Verdict | $4.69 billion → $2.12 billion (Missouri, 2018) |
| U.S. Talc Sales Stopped | 2020 |
| Worldwide Talc Sales Stopped | 2023 |
| Settlement Status | Proposed $5.5B resolution announced July 27, 2026 (95% participation required) |
| Mesothelioma claims | Not covered by the proposed settlement (separate track) |
| Future claims | Not covered |
| Bankruptcy Settlement Status | $9 billion proposal rejected (March 31, 2025) |
| WHO Classification (2024) | Talc reclassified as "probably carcinogenic" |
| Presiding Judge | Hon. Michael A. Shipp (D.N.J.) |
| Magistrate Judge | Hon. Rukhsanah L. Singh (D.N.J.) |
| Can You Still File? | Deadlines still run. Whether newly filed claims can join the proposed settlement has not been established. |
Massive Case Surge in 2025
The largest MDL continues to grow rapidly. Case count has surged 18% since January 2025, with major increases following bankruptcy settlement rejections.
Source: JPML MDL Statistics Reports, February 2025-August 2026
1 What Is This Lawsuit?
The Johnson and Johnson talc lawsuit is a massive legal action involving tens of thousands of people who claim that J&J's talc-based products—primarily Johnson's Baby Powder and Shower to Shower—caused them to develop cancer.
Asbestos & Mesothelioma Claims
Plaintiffs allege J&J's talc products were contaminated with asbestos, a known carcinogen. Talc and asbestos naturally occur together in the earth—when talc is mined, asbestos fibers can contaminate the product if not properly tested and purified.
Ovarian Cancer Claims
Thousands of women allege that using talcum powder for feminine hygiene led to ovarian cancer. Studies have found talc particles can migrate to the ovaries, and long-term genital use is associated with increased cancer risk.
Internal company documents revealed during litigation suggest J&J knew about potential asbestos contamination as early as the 1970s but concealed this information from consumers and regulators. In 2019, the FDA found asbestos in some samples of Johnson's Baby Powder, leading to a voluntary recall of 33,000 bottles.
WHO Reclassification (July 2024)
The World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) upgraded talc's classification from "possibly carcinogenic" (Group 2B) to "probably carcinogenic to humans" (Group 2A), citing evidence of increased ovarian cancer risk in women who used talcum powder in the genital area.
2 2025 Verdicts — $1.78 Billion Total($2.73B before post-trial reductions)
A Baltimore jury returned the largest individual talc verdict in history. The 54-year-old plaintiff used J&J talc products for over 40 years before her January 2024 diagnosis of peritoneal mesothelioma. The jury found evidence of "fraudulent misrepresentation or concealment" about cancer risks.
Case: Craft v. Ahold Delhaize US Inc. (24-X-000005) — Baltimore City Circuit Court. Lead counsel: Dean Omar Branham Shirley. J&J has announced it will appeal.
A 37-year-old mother of three developed peritoneal mesothelioma after using Johnson's Baby Powder throughout her childhood. Largest asbestos-related verdict in Minnesota history.
First ovarian cancer plaintiff verdict since 2021, as J&J's bankruptcy attempts had paused trials. Both women developed cancer after decades of using J&J talc products.
A Los Angeles jury originally awarded $966M to the family of Mae K. Moore, who died in 2021 at age 88 from mesothelioma after decades of using J&J products. On March 13, 2026, Judge Ruth A. Kwan granted J&J's motion for judgment notwithstanding the verdict (JNOV), eliminating the $950M punitive damages award. The judge found insufficient evidence that J&J knew asbestos was in its products, noting "hundreds of test results showed no asbestos" and studies claiming otherwise "were retracted, could not be duplicated, or were otherwise debunked." The $16M compensatory award stands. Both sides have indicated they will appeal.
Case: Moore v. Johnson & Johnson — Los Angeles County Superior Court. Judge Ruth A. Kwan. Lead counsel: Dean Omar Branham Shirley (Danny Kraft). JNOV ruling: March 13, 2026. Both sides appealing.
A 79-year-old nephrologist who developed pleural mesothelioma after decades of using J&J talc products.
Judge added $10M in punitive damages to earlier $15M compensatory award. Plotkin developed mesothelioma after using J&J products from the 1950s through 2000s.
Largest mesothelioma verdict in Massachusetts history. Paul used J&J powder on himself and his children for over 40 years before diagnosis.
Earlier 2025 Verdicts
3 2024 Verdicts
| Date | Location | Plaintiff | Award | Status |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Sep 2024 | Oregon | Kyung Lee | $260M | Overturned |
| Aug 2024 | South Carolina | Michael Perry | $63.4M | Under Appeal |
| Jul 2024 | Illinois | Cipriano Ramirez Estate | $24.4M | Under Appeal |
| Apr 2024 | Illinois | Theresa Garcia Estate | $45M | Under Appeal |
4 Failed Bankruptcy Settlement Attempts
Johnson & Johnson has attempted three times to resolve talc claims through bankruptcy using a controversial strategy known as the "Texas Two-Step"—creating a subsidiary to hold liabilities, then filing that subsidiary for bankruptcy.
| Attempt | Entity | Proposed Amount | Outcome |
|---|---|---|---|
| First (2021) | LTL Management | Not disclosed | Dismissed (2022) |
| Second (2023) | LTL Management | $8.9 billion | Dismissed (2023) |
| Third (2024-25) | Red River Talc | $9 billion | Rejected (March 31, 2025) |
On March 31, 2025, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez denied confirmation and dismissed J&J's third attempt for cause, finding that the company "did not belong in bankruptcy proceedings." J&J announced it would not appeal and would instead defend cases in court. Citation: In re Red River Talc LLC, No. 24-90505 (Bankr. S.D. Tex. Mar. 31, 2025).
The July 2026 proposed settlement takes the opposite approach: it covers existing claims only and leaves future claims unresolved, which the plaintiffs' negotiators said freed up more money for current claimants and accelerated payment from more than a decade to roughly 18 months.
5 Settlement Developments
State Consumer Protection Settlement — $700 Million
Johnson & Johnson agreed to pay $700 million to settle talc-related consumer protection claims brought by 42 states and the District of Columbia. The agreement in principle was announced in January 2024; the definitive settlement and consent judgments followed on June 11, 2024. This settlement addressed claims that J&J made deceptive statements about the safety of its talc products but did not resolve individual personal injury lawsuits.
Talc Supplier Settlement — $505 Million
Imerys Talc (J&J's former talc supplier) agreed to a $505 million settlement to resolve disputes over talc liabilities.
Court-Ordered Mediation Begins
The MDL court appointed a mediator to facilitate settlement discussions. The first mediation session was held September 4, 2025. Both sides are participating in court-ordered settlement talks.
Beasley Allen Disqualified
Beasley Allen, whose opposition on behalf of roughly 11,500 clients helped defeat J&J's $9 billion Red River Talc bankruptcy plan, was disqualified from the talc litigation over attorney Andy Birchfield's collaboration with former J&J lawyer James Conlan. New Jersey's Appellate Division held the firm should be disqualified from state talc cases, and Judge Singh disqualified it from the federal MDL. Plaintiffs' Steering Committee leadership passed to Ashcraft & Gerel, which went on to help negotiate the July 2026 settlement.
Specific Causation Hearing; Plaintiffs Withdraw Experts
Following an evidentiary hearing on plaintiffs' specific causation experts, plaintiffs' counsel withdrew Dr. Judith Wolf and Dr. Daniel L. Clarke-Pearson, without prejudice, from the bellwether cases they had been designated for. Court reporting describes six bellwether plaintiffs; J&J's own announcement refers to "two bellwether cases." A special master had separately recommended rejecting a key plaintiff expert's testing methodology as lacking "nearly all of the traditional indicia of reliability."
Order to Show Cause
U.S. Magistrate Judge Rukhsanah L. Singh granted J&J's motion and ordered plaintiffs to show why the remaining pending talc claims should not be dismissed for inability to prove specific causation. Singh declined to treat the motion as seeking instant dismissal, describing it instead as "an opportunity for the parties and the Court to review the status of the record."
Proposed $5.5 Billion Ovarian Settlement
J&J announced a proposed resolution of approximately 76,000 ovarian talc claims. $5.5 billion committed, per-claim payments, first payment of no more than $3 billion in 2027, no further payments due before 2028. Conditioned on 95% participation. Excludes mesothelioma claims and future claims. No admission of liability.
Full report →6 Who May Qualify
You may be eligible to file a J&J talc lawsuit if you meet these criteria:
Mesothelioma Claims
- Used J&J talc products (Baby Powder, Shower to Shower)
- Diagnosed with mesothelioma (pleural, peritoneal, or pericardial)
- Any gender can file—men and women affected
- Childhood exposure counts (parents using powder on children)
Ovarian Cancer Claims
- Used J&J talc products for feminine hygiene
- Applied product to genital/perineal area
- Regular use for extended period before diagnosis
- Diagnosed with ovarian cancer (especially serous type)
7 Real People Affected
Cherie A. Craft
$1.56 Billion — Maryland, December 2025 (LARGEST INDIVIDUAL VERDICT)
A 54-year-old Maryland resident diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma in January 2024 after using J&J talc products for over 40 years. The Baltimore City Circuit Court jury found evidence of "fraudulent misrepresentation or concealment" about cancer risks, awarding $59.84M in compensatory damages plus $1.5B in punitive damages ($1B against J&J, $500M against Pecos River Talc LLC). J&J has announced it will appeal.
Anna Jean Houghton Carley
$65.5 Million — Minnesota, December 2025
A 37-year-old mother of three minor children diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma in 2025. Johnson's Baby Powder was used on her throughout her childhood, and her family was never warned about potential dangers. Her attorney stated: "This case was not about compensation only. It was about truth and accountability."
Paul Lovell
$42.6 Million — Massachusetts, July 2025
Paul, 69, used Johnson's Baby Powder on himself and his children for over 40 years. Diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2021. He and his wife Kathryn, married for over 44 years with four children, received the largest mesothelioma verdict in Massachusetts history—including $11 million for Kathryn's future loss of consortium.
Janice Paluzzi
$8 Million — Massachusetts, June 2025
Janice, 84, used Johnson's Baby Powder for over 70 years, starting in the 1950s. She used it on herself and all seven of her children while raising them. Diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma in 2021. J&J argued her sons' construction work caused her exposure; the jury rejected this defense.
8 Frequently Asked Questions
How much is the Johnson and Johnson talc lawsuit worth?
How much will each person get from the talc settlement?
Is the talc settlement final?
Does the settlement cover mesothelioma claims?
Can I still file a talc lawsuit after this settlement?
Why did J&J settle right after winning a major ruling?
Is this a class action lawsuit?
Is Johnson's Baby Powder still being sold?
Is it too late to file a lawsuit?
How long does a talc lawsuit take?
What is Johnson & Johnson's position?
Why did J&J's bankruptcy settlement fail three times?
Sources & References
13 official sources citedJudicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) — Official MDL statistics
World Health Organization / IARC — Talc carcinogenicity classification
FDA — Talc testing and safety information
American Cancer Society — Talc and cancer risk information
Claims Journal / Bloomberg — Craft verdict reporting
Dean Omar Branham Shirley LLP — Lead plaintiff counsel press release
Johnson & Johnson, "Johnson & Johnson Announces a Proposed Resolution of Ovarian Talc Litigation," press release, July 27, 2026
Johnson & Johnson, "Statement on Order To Show Cause," FactsAboutTalc.com, July 23, 2026
Reuters, "J&J reaches sweeping talc deal that could end decade of litigation," July 28, 2026
Law.com (Amanda Bronstad), coverage of the July 22 order to show cause and the July 27 settlement
Legal Newsline, "Talc lawyers told to put up or shut up: 69K lawsuits at stake," July 23, 2026
In re: J&J Talcum Powder Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2738, No. 3:16-md-02738-MAS-RLS (D.N.J.)
Court records (Baltimore City Circuit Court, Case 24-X-000005), press releases, and news reports from Reuters, ABC News, CNN, Law360, and legal industry publications. Data current as of August 2026.
Attorney Advertising. The information on this page is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by accessing or using this content.
Every case is unique, and results depend on the specific facts and circumstances involved. Past settlement amounts and case outcomes do not guarantee similar results in your case. If you believe you have a legal claim, you should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction who can evaluate your specific situation.